Day 34 Willmar, MN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2018

Day 34 Willmar, MN

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a major rain delay this morning and didn't leave the hotel until 2PM.  The latest check out we could get was noon, but the staff let us sit in the lobby and play cards - and even eat lunch - until we were ready to go.

The rain was first forecast to end by 8AM, then 10Am, then 1PM, and finally, 3PM.  By 2PM, it was raining just a little, and we knew we needed to get going to get to our next destination 51 miles away.  We also had a very important site to visit today, which you can read about in Alain's post today.  Team S dressed in our tights, jackets, long-fingered gloves and helmet covers to face the 62 degree chill.  Team A braved the elements, though Viktoriya did wear her rain jacket.  It was damp and misty most of the day, with some light rain here and there.  The temperature stayed in the low 60's all day.  Some of us considered that a pleasant riding temperature, but Kerry and I were chilly all day.

It was dark and cloudy all day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our big stop for the day was the Ball of Twine in Darwin.  Some memories really need to be preserved.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The road paralleled train tracks for miles. We saw just this one train pass
Heart 0 Comment 0

The day became even more fun after being damp and chilly for hours when we had our first flat tire of the trip about sixteen miles from the end.  Kerry got it changed and we were on our way again before long.  

It was a long, tiring day and it was nice to have even a little ray of sun at the end!

We finally saw a tiny bit of sun just as we arrived at our destination about 8PM
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 1,581 miles (2,544 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0