Day 31 New Ulm, MN - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2018

Day 31 New Ulm, MN

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today began with an abundance of Type 2 fun.  First we had yet another long rain delay.  We finally left the motel at noon.  I guess it's a little self-centered to complain about spending an extra four hours in a clean, dry, comfortable motel room with WIFI and TV, eating a late breakfast and enjoying the company of one's travel companions, but we were ready to roll!

I will complain a little about the road conditions without feeling guilty.  We started out (in a light rain) on a two lane road with no shoulder and construction cones.  It was harrowing at times, but the drivers were polite and patient.  After a few miles, Kerry spotted a way to cross to the paved, but closed to traffic, new lanes.  We then enjoyed several miles of cycling bliss - a paved road all to ourselves.

Best bike lanes ever!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once this newly built stretch ended, we were at the end of the construction zone and back on a  four lane divided highway with a nice wide shoulder.

We are still riding through farms and open land.  It is very pretty.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another large grain elevator
Heart 0 Comment 0
This seemed to be a storage area for locomotives
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for a late lunch at the Hometown Family Restaurant in the small town of Saint James.  At 3PM,  there was only one other customer in the place.  It was a good choice. The food was tasty, but it was our server, Abby, who made it fun.  She talked to us about the town and patiently tried to answer our questions.  We learned that the population is largely Mexican and the major employer is Con-Agra.  At this location, they make the "Lunchables" products.  Thanks, Abby!

Heart 1 Comment 0

After lunch, we had plenty of Type 1 fun riding on roads with good shoulders and even some real bike lanes.  The last 15 miles we had awesome tailwinds.

We didn't get to our hotel in New Ulm until a little after 6PM, but the day ended well after a rough start and we're ready to enjoy our day off tomorrow exploring the town.

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 1,481 miles (2,383 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0