Day 3 Coldwater, OH - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2018

Day 3 Coldwater, OH

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our ride today was very short because the forecast was for more heavy rain in the afternoon.  The vote to take the most direct route and skip our planned stop at the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen was 3-1.  Kerry accepted the will of the majority, but was disappointed not to see the bicycle collection.

We left the hotel this morning and rode through downtown Wapakoneta.  It is a very attractive town.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first stop was in the town of St. Marys.  They have a restored lock from the Miami-Erie Canal, which connected the Ohio River to Lake Erie by way of the Miami River.  There was an old canal boat on display.

Miami-Erie Canal Lock 13
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Between St Marys and Celina is Grand Lake St. Marys, a manmade lake which is the largest inland lake in Ohio.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our last six miles were on our 2nd rail trail of this trip, the Celina Coldwater Bikeway.   It is a trail with rail, as an active rail line runs along the trail.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to the Gels Home B&B in Coldwater before noon. The owners, Janet and Ralph, were very gracious and let us check in early.  Then, hearing about Kerry's disappointment over missing the bicycle museum, they let us borrow their van to drive New Bremen.  It was fun to see and we really appreciated the Gels' generosity in allowing us to visit it.

This is considered to be the first bicycle
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were some very unusual pedaled contraptions!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Little boys always loved Schwinn's!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The forecast heavy thunderstorms have not happened, but we have had some rain since we checked in.  3 of 4 of us, at least, believe we made the right choice this morning to stay dry!

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 123 miles (198 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Ayala ZarfjianSounds like a perfect day! I am enjoying following you on your adventure.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michael SchoenGlad you made it to New Bremen! Many decades ago I used to travel from my home in Fort Wayne, IN, to race motorcycles at New Bremen Speedway. Lots of fond memories.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Viktoriya AbbateTo Michael SchoenNeed for speed :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Viktoriya AbbateTo Ayala ZarfjianThank you for following us :-) we are having fun :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago