Day 29 Spirit Lake, IA - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2018

Day 29 Spirit Lake, IA

Heart 0 Comment 0

We awoke to storms in Storm Lake.  The rain ended by 9AM, but strong winds continued.  The wonderful thing was the 20 mph winds were from the south and we were headed just about due north all day.

As it happened, we thought we were headed due north all day until we ran into an almost daily occurrence: "DETOUR"  When we saw the road closed and detour sign, Kerry walked down the road to where the guys we working to see if we could get through.  The guy there said no problem, bikes can pass, just be careful of the road equipment.  We talked this over with Team A and we all decided to proceed down the closed (but not to bikes) road.  Team A left a few minutes before we were ready, but soon returned.  The boss of the first guy  a mile and a half down the road told them no way, no bikes, go back.  So all of us took the detour.  It added only six miles to our route.  Three of those were into the wind, but it wasn't too bad.

Heart 0 Comment 0

If you are tired of seeing pictures of Iowa farms, just look at these last few.  Tomorrow, I'll have pictures of Minnesota farms for you!  The ride through Iowa has been beautiful and we have enjoyed being here and meeting a lot of warm and friendly people.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last few miles of today's route were on a meandering bike path through Okoboji and Spirit Lake.  There are three glacial lakes referred to as the Great Lakes of Iowa.  It seems to be a popular vacation area.  

Nice shady trail - very welcome at the end of the day!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of the lake from the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 1,381 miles (2,223 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0