Day 28 Storm Lake, IA - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2018

Day 28 Storm Lake, IA

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a very good ride today.  The weather was almost perfect.  We had blue skies and lots of sunshine with low humidity and a high of about 82.

The first 24 miles we on the Sauk Rail Trail.  It is an outstanding trail with an excellent surface and beautiful scenery.  Leaving Carroll, the trail crosses an active rail line.  Kerry and I waited at this spot in the pouring rain for a train to pass three years ago.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The active line runs right along the trail for a few miles.  We were disappointed that no trains passed.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A highlight of riding this trail was our stop at Kay's Corner Cafe in the tiny town of Breda.  The store is full of interesting "stuff" and has an old tin ceiling.  Kay's son did the drawings on the walls.  RAGBRAI came this way in 2006 and Kay has a map of cyclists' home towns.  Kay and her helper were fun to talk with and also made us a good breakfast - and Team A a good piece of rhubarb pie.

Kay and her helper
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pressed tin ceiling - probably original to building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wall drawings by Kay's son
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
RAGBRAI map from 2006
Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail ends in Lake View, yet another very attractive little Iowa town.

Downtown Lake View
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sauk Trail art in Lake View
Heart 0 Comment 0
Team A exiting the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the trail ended, we had another thirty miles on roads to our destination.  The roads were good and the drivers continued to be very polite.  We're in the town of Storm Lake tonight.  There is a large public park along the lakefront.  There are big wood carvings bordering the road.

Storm Lake park
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are wood carvings along the front of the park
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The forecast is for storms in Storm Lake tonight with clearing in the morning, so we are hopeful for a good riding tomorrow starting with an extra hour of sleep in the morning.

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 1,314 miles (2,115 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0