Day 22 Osceola, IA - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2018

Day 22 Osceola, IA

Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached a milestone today.  We've ridden over 1000 miles since we left Columbus on May 17.

We enjoyed a short ride today - only 34.5 miles.  The Iowa hills and farms were pleasant to look at and the Iowa drivers were great.  We were on Hwy 69 all day which is two lanes with no paved shoulder, but all the trucks and cars moved over to pass and were patient and polite when they had to wait.

Some of the views from today - 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The highlight of today's ride was our stop at Wade's Cafe near Weldon.  It is a tiny place with no sign out front across the street from a grain elevator.  We stopped in for a cold drink and restroom break and ended up staying there at least a half hour.  The woman behind the counter, Fran, said she wasn't the owner, but had been "hanging around" the place for forty years.  She was very friendly and talkative and we enjoyed meeting her.  We snacked on excellent grilled cheese sandwiches made by the cook, whose name, I think, was Monica.  While we were enjoying their company, two ladies came in who are regulars.  They told us they drive from their homes in the town ten miles away almost every day for lunch.  We had a good time talking with all of them and on the way out, Viktoriya made another new friend.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 1,015 miles (1,633 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0