Day 19 Carrollton, MO - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2018

Day 19 Carrollton, MO

Heart 0 Comment 0

After a pleasant and relaxing rest day in Warrensburg yesterday, it was time to get back on the bikes this morning.  Our route to Carrollton had over 2200 feet of climbing - not so much for a lot of touring cyclists, but a workout for us. 

The route was very rural through more farms and a couple of small towns.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The corn is getting tall
Heart 0 Comment 0
This farmer was spraying something that smelled terrible
Heart 0 Comment 1
Boris Fayfermust be organic ;)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Near the town of Higginsville, we stopped at the Confederate Memorial State Park.  It was once the site of a home for indigent and disabled Confederate veterans.  A cemetery and a few buildings remain.  The story the park promotes is that after the war, both Union and Confederate soldiers and families supported the home and cemetery.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the way to our lunch stop in Waverly, we took a break at a small community park in the tiny (pop 103) town of Dover.  At the park was a marker recognizing the route of the Santa Fe Trail.  

How many people traveled the Santa Fe Trail on a tandem bicycle?
Heart 2 Comment 0

A welcome surprise a few miles farther along was the Baltimore Bend Winery.  Jeanna and Viktoriya enjoyed a few samples and the boys tried the wine slushy.  It was pretty good.

Sharing a wine slushy sample
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch at the Waverly BBQ.   The staff was so friendly it made up for the just average food.

Lisa and Sadie at the Waverly Apple BBQ
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch, it was less than 14 miles to Carrollton and 12 of them were FLAT.  That made for a comfortable post-prandial ride.

As we rode into Carrollton, we saw these guys working on the railroad, but we didn't hear any singing :)

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 867 miles (1,395 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0