As far south as we're gonna get. - Two Far 2018 - Trailing through the Rust Belt - CycleBlaze

As far south as we're gonna get.

We spent last night at a minimalist motel on the outskirts of Windsor, MO called the crossroads motel. One of the crossroads leads into town and has some traffic, the other croddroad has no traffic except a few horse drawn wagons and buggies. This is Amish country.

The Crossroads motel. Clean rooms, nice showers, cyclists welcome.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The forecast last night was for rain pretty much all day today. It was raining when we woke up at 6:00. The motel had no coffee. Viktoriya had a strong urge for coffee. The urge was not quite strong enough for her to walk the quarter mile down the road to get coffee at Sonic, but it was plenty strong enough for her to send Alain down to Sonic to bring back coffee.

Windsor is as far south as we have been on this trip and we have decided it's as far south as we're going to go, even though the Katy trail continues on Southwest for another 18 miles. The trail is muddy because of the rain, so we decided to take a short cut towards our next stop.

Yes, our original plan had been to cover every fabulous inch of the Katy trail, but muddy inches are usually not very fabulous. So we won't EFI the trail this year.

Instead of the trail, we used a road route to get to our destination in Warrensburgh. It looked like it might start pouring at any moment or it might blow over. We decided to roll the dice and hope it didn't pour. 3 miles after we left it started to sprinkle and we could see a lot of lightning close by. We saw a roadside market and decided to seek shelter before we got soaked and/or hit by lightning.

I get the feeling it might rain. But the cows aren't lying down.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These cows are also standing up. Don't they lie down if it's going to rain?
Heart 2 Comment 0
We found a spot to take shelter.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This was a great move. The Amish man who runs the market came out and invited us to wait out the rain on his porch. As soon as we got to the porch it started to seriously rain. His wife joined us on the porch and we enjoyed talking with them until the rain passed through. I told her my theory that you can tell when it's going to rain because the cows lie down. She explained that the cows lie down the day BEFORE it's going to rain. Good grief, all these years I have been looking at tomorrow's bovine forecast thinking it was today's forecast. 

She mentioned that she did the baking for the market. We weren't hungry, but we were so grateful to escape the rain that we decided to get some home made cookies from the market. And a carmel pecan roll. And some more cookies. Maybe we were just a little bit hungry.

We were in danger of getting wet. We were not in danger of going hungry.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We said goodbye to the Amish couple and hit the road. For a while it was touch and go with the rain. We didn't know if we were going to get soaked, but we got lucky and managed to stay more or less dry.

Rain to the left of us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Clouds to the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I think it's clearing up ahead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It looked almost like a sunrise or sunset at times.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We made it to Warrensburgh dry. So dry in fact that we had to make sure to hydrate.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Geoff AbbateThe Amish have a sweet tooth. Every Amish store I have been to has a substantial section for candy and other sweet treats. Also, ice cream shops do a great business there. It must be the hard work and clean living that keeps them thin.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago