Washington, part 2 - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2016

Washington, part 2

Team A took the metro to Arlington cemetery. At least they tried to. When they reached Rosslyn station where they were supposed to change to the Blue line, a mysterious public address announcement indicated something about the Blue line. Since the announcement was made by Charlie Brown's teacher above the din of train traffic team A was not sure what was happening. After a while it became obvious that no Blue line trains were arriving.

Some workers at a ticket window indicated that the Blue line was out of service to Arlington cemetery.

"Is there a shuttle we can take?"

"No, there's no shuttle, but you can just walk. It's a 7 minute walk to the cemetery."

When we exited the station, we discovered that there was in fact a free shuttle to the cemetery to fill in for the missing Blue line train.

The cemetery is well worth a visit. Thousands of graves each give a brief glimpse into a life of service.

Arlington National Cemetery
Heart 0 Comment 0
A long life. A life well lived.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Family members of those who served are also buried at Arlington
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. According to a gardener working next to the tomb this was the first day a woman was serving as the relief commander for the changing of the guard.

Changing of the guard
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tomb of the unknown soldier.
Here rests in honored glory an American soldier known but to God.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent the afternoon at the Smithsonian air and space museum.

Bicycle built by the Wright brothers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
1903 Wright Flyer. First self powered airplane.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Apollo tools for use on the lunar surface.
Apparently astronauts were under strict orders to clean up after any space dogs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0