Voyage to Counterpoint South, SC - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2016

Voyage to Counterpoint South, SC

We have fine tuned our morning departure routine. Breakfast at 6:00, pedals up at 6:30. Give or take a minute. Or 10 minutes. But the main thing is to start rolling out before the heat rolls in. Today mother nature helped out in the form of fog as we left Statesboro, a shady canopy in mid-morning and some strategically placed clouds at noon. The last hour was hot, but that was just to remind us not to take our mother for granted.

Fog lifting
Heart 0 Comment 0
From fog to sunshine
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have also fine tuned our use of Sportslick lubrication in our nether regions to prevent saddle sores. Or in our case to recover from saddle sores we picked up during our first 2 long sweaty days of riding up the Florida peninsula. An ounce of prevention would have saved a pound of cure, but we are fortunate that we could simply spread that pound of Sportslick on our skin instead of having to ingest it.

Today we crossed South Carolina state line.

From Florida to South Carolina
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the South Carolina state line
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had heard that roads in South Carolina left much to be desired. In fact the road conditions varied widely county by county. A few sections had poorly maintained pavement or heavy traffic, but for the most part the SC roads were quite nice and had very little traffic.

South Carolina road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Savannah River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came across several historic markers which is a nice touch for a crew always on the lookout for an excuse to take a short break. We encountered a dead (but not historic) gator on the side of the road just before reaching Robertville, SC.

Historic marker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Robertville, SC
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made extensive use of our BT headsets during the ride. The topic of the day was vegetable alphabet. We had to take turns coming up with veggies that start with the letter A, then B veggies, C veggies, etc. As we progressed through the alphabet the definition of what constitutes a legal vegetable got looser. Arugula and Broccoli gave way to Indian Corn by the time we got to the letter I. The letter L caused further deterioration in the definition of a vegetable. A leek is certainly a vegetable, a lentil is questionable and lemon grass is really pushing it, even if it is served in salads. Somewhere around M when an argument about whether a Mushroom should be considered a vegetable was raging the batteries on our headsets died and put us out of our misery.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0