Team A Moncky business - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2016

Team A Moncky business

Coastal South Carolina received a lot of rain last week - enough flooding to close down parts of I-95. The roads are dry now but there is plenty of water in the low lying woodlands. Yesterday we passed the Black Swamp but plenty of places we passed today could have qualified for that name. Something in the soil or vegetation turns standing water black as midnight.

We continued the South Carolina pattern of good road conditions in some counties and some roads in really poor condition. We don't mind dodging potholes on country roads with little traffic but it's no fun when traffic forces you to ride over potholes and rumble strips.

We have been following an Adventure Cycling route north. We had a nice surprise a few miles from our destination in Moncks Corner when we met a group of central Florida randonneurs heading south on the same Adventure Cycling route. They have been hammering along on their way from Maine to Florida covering almost twice our daily mileage. https://www.facebook.com/events/1005961486177604/. We happened to run into them at a traffic light next to a big shady tree so we took a break in the shade and traded stories.

Maine to Florida meets Florida to Ontario
Heart 1 Comment 0

We have been playing cards to pass the time in the evenings. Jeanna and Kerry introduced us to Spades which involves two sets of partners. It is a good practice to avoid having married couples act as partners in cards. We tried a different game tonight that did not involve partners. It seems to be a universal truth that even if you don't actually win the card game, finishing ahead of your spouse by virtue of the last card on the last trick is deeply satisfying.

Sunflowers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shovel art - SC
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0