Slow time - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2016

Slow time

Today we traveled from Brandenburg on the Ohio River to Lewisport, also on the Ohio River. You would think the route between two towns on the same river would be fairly flat, but Kentucky does not work that way. We spent much of the first half of the day following route 144, which may sound gross, but was a beautiful ride.

Beautiful views and no traffic along rt 144.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Free ranging chickens on an organic farm. So what do they do with their freedom of choice? About 1/3 freely ranged to the mud, 1/3 ranged to the grass and 1/3 hung out at headquarters.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was much cooler than yesterday, which was handy considering how many hills we had to climb. The temperature mystery was solved when Kerry looked down at his GPS and noticed that we had crossed from the Eastern time zone into the Central time zone. Everyone knows that the later in the morning it is the hotter it is, so it stands to reason that setting the clocks back an hour would cool things down considerably.

In the Florida panhandle folks refer to the section in central time zone as slow time. I decided it would not be diplomatic to ask if this was the case in Kentucky as well.

The route returned several times to the Ohio River. One of the flatter stretches along the river featured the Joseph Holt house. I had not previously heard of Joseph Holt, but it was a nice shady spot for a break.

Back again to the Ohio River. Each tributary swells the river a bit more.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Joseph Holt house. Lots of shady trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No need to Google Joseph Holt. Just squint your eyes and read this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After about 35 miles we came to a gas station, the first service we had encountered. It was getting warmer, despite turning back the clock, so we decided to stray from the adventure cycling route on back roads we had been following and just take US 60 to our destination. It may not be an interstate highway, but US 60 is an engineering marvel. Two or three steep hills with 10 or 12 percent grades were magically transformed into one long easy 4 or 5 percent climb. The shoulder was as wide as a traffic lane, although a bit gravely in places.

This road looks flat, but that's only because US 60 is so well graded. This view would encompass 3 separate steep climbs if bulldozers had not worked their magic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
US 60 engineers were nice enough to remove unneeded hill tops.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Lewisport itself was a bit of a disappointment. There's not much to the old town along the river. We are staying in a hotel on US 60 surrounded by corn fields. The hotel is comfortable but the view is not inspiring.

Capturing boats along the Ohio River was a bit of a habit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Did someone proof read this for grammatical errors?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeeps appear to be quite popular in Lewisport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0