Most of 17 - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2016

Most of 17

Today we finished up the last few miles of the GAP as we headed down to the 3 rivers at Pittsburgh's Point state park.

Hot metal bridge over the Monongahela. Pittsburgh coming into view! (The metal didn't feel hot to me.)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Point park where the Monongahela and Allegheny rivers form the Ohio River.
As you can see in the pic the confluence sprang a large leak, otherwise the Ohio would be an even bigger river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

For a brief time we had a bike path to follow along the Ohio downstream from Pittsburgh. All too soon we were on city streets. Steep streets. Streets that carried us skyward to lofty bridges spanning the Ohio.

Wikipedia informs us that there are 17 bridge crossings of the Ohio within the state of Pennsylvania. We crossed most of them today. Keep in mind that some are interstate highway bridges or railroad bridges that do not allow cyclists. Im not convinced that we ignored even one possible crossing.

The good news is that these are not draw bridges, so we didn't have to worry about slippery metal grates on the bridges. We timed our ride to miss heavy traffic and almost all drivers were polite and waited for a safe moment to passus.

Beside 17 bridges, here are 17 other things about Pittsburg you need to knowhttps://fitt.co/pittsburgh/pittsburgh/

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0