Headset Headaches - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2016

Headset Headaches

Kerry and Jeanna have used Terrano BT headsets for years to keep in touch with each other during bike rides when they are on separate bikes. Even when they ride the tandem they prefer to talk to each other through the headsets. It seemed like a good idea for all 4 riders on the Two Far ride to use headsets so we could all keep in touch on the road.

The headsets give you a choice of 4 channels – A, B, C and D. This gives the flexibility to set up 2 separate 2 person conversations or a single 4 person conversation. We waited for our first long break in Blackshear to configure the 4 headset connection. Each headset has 5 buttons and several LEDs that would turn on in various colors or blink in cryptic codes to let you know the status of the headset. The 5 buttons can be pressed individually or in pairs. The number of possible sequences of short presses and long presses exceeds the number of stars in our galaxy, so the 4 of us sat down to follow the clear and straight forward instructions on how to connect the headsets. Initially Jeanna and Kerry’s headsets were paired and Alain and Viktoriya’s headsets were paired. Within half an hour we managed to configure the headsets so that Jeanna could hear Viktoriya, although Viktoriya couldn’t heart Jeanna and could no longer hear Alain. After following the instructions for another hour we managed to get all 4 headsets talking together and decided to call it a night.

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 401 miles (645 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0