Day 88 Natchez to Jackson, LA - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 27, 2016

Day 88 Natchez to Jackson, LA

This was our first day in almost two weeks on "normal" public roads. We've been spoiled by the Natchez Trace with no trucks or commercial traffic allowed and almost no traffic of any kind most of the way. It turned out that we didn't have to suffer at all for our easy days. We had good roads, light to no traffic and comfortable cycling conditions all day.

We entered our 15th state of this trip - Louisiana. We'll be back in Mississippi, Alabama and Florida on the way. The Louisiana line was marked with a small sign, where we took the obligatory photos. Going the other way, the Mississippi border was marked in a less costly way.

Entering or 15th state - Louisiana. There is a very small sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
"L" "A"
Heart 0 Comment 0
At least Louisiana had a sign. This marks the road entering Mississippi.
Heart 1 Comment 0

About halfway through today's route we encountered thousands of love bugs. It is the most love bugs I've seen since we lived in Pinellas County, Florida in the 1970's. They were all over us and our bikes the rest of the way. In Florida, love bugs know the calendar and are out in May and September. The love bugs in Louisiana apparently don't follow the same schedule.

Love bugs are out in force, but it's not September. Are Louisiana love bugs on a different schedule?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode over several creeks today which were almost dry. It seemed odd to me to be so near the area of recent severe flooding and have nearly dry creek beds.

Thompson Creek near Jackson, LA It's odd that the water is so low so close to the flooded areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Jackson and stopped for lunch at Bobby's Drive In. It's a 50's style diner with a walk up window outside and one inside as well. The sandwiches and fries were served wrapped in waxed paper and brought to the table in a white paper bag. It reminded me of a place my grandparents used to take me when I was a child. One of the little things I'm enjoying about traveling in the south is ordering a hamburger with slaw and not being asked "You want WHAT?"

Tonight in Jackson, we're staying at the Milbank House B&B. This is a beautifully restored home built in the 1830's. The four of us are sharing a five room suite on the second floor. Our bikes are spending the night in luxurious surroundings as well.

Milbank House
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rear of Milbank House - venue for weddings
Heart 0 Comment 0
The building is on the National Register of Historic Places
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downstairs parlor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downstairs parlor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Main stairway
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Set for breakfast
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 4,152 miles (6,682 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0