Day 83 Houston to Kosciusko - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2016

Day 83 Houston to Kosciusko

Today was another long ride from Houston to Kosciusko. It was in the low 80's and very overcast, so great cycling weather again. The Trace continues to be a good road for cycling with almost no traffic and smooth pavement.

Today's view of the Trace
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the halfway point of our journey on the Trace today. We have three more days until we reach Natchez.

We're halfway down the Trace
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rest stops are infrequent, so our Diet Coke levels drop dangerously low from time to time. We had to take a long break at a little country store just off the Trace to get our intake back up to cycling levels. While we were there, Alain had time to give a lot of thought to talking chickens.

A talking chicken? This demands spending a quarter!
Heart 0 Comment 0

He finally allowed as how, if he just had a quarter, he'd like to listen to that chicken talk. A quarter was quickly produced. Inserting the quarter, though, failed to produce a talking chicken.

It's worth a quarter to hear a chicken talk.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It did produce a plastic egg containing a valuable prize:

The chicken didn't talk, but it laid an egg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The prize!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our encounter with the non-talking chicken, we were on the lookout for more animal interactions. Kerry saw this guy on the road.

A snake in the grass
Heart 0 Comment 0
A snake in the sun
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had lunch at the café at French Camp. It's a long-standing religious community with a private boarding school. The food was very good and we had a good time talking with the staff and other customers.

The Council House Café at French Camp
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 miles (127 km)
Total: 3,908 miles (6,289 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0