Day 78 Hohenwald to Collinwood - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2016

Day 78 Hohenwald to Collinwood

Today started out with a wonderful breakfast prepared by Sheri and Noel at Fall Hollow. I almost never eat breakfast, but even I had to have the biscuits and gravy and eggs and bacon they fixed. It turns out that Sheri remembered seeing Viktoriya in Leipers Fork on Monday. They recognized each other at breakfast. Leipers Fork must be the place to see and be seen for the influential and fashionable in this part of the world!

Noel and Sheri fixing breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Trace is closed for 5 miles south of Hohenwald for bridge repair. This necessitates a 15 mile detour with one really big hill and reportedly a few cyclist chasing dogs. We made the ride with no dog encounters and, for Team S, the use of our lowest gear (the one which requires four feet on the ground) to get over the hill. Team A pedaled right up. Kerry would have liked to do the same, but he was very considerate of my concerns and agreed to walk it.

Just before rejoining the Trace, we came to Yoders’ Homestead Market. Viktoriya and Kerry spent some blissful minutes inside choosing fruit, cheese, homemade granola bars and fresh baked bread and cookies. Back on the Trace, we stopped at the Meriwether Lewis gravesite and monument. There was a woman there who wanted to tell all of us at length exactly why historians are wrong and Lewis did not commit suicide. She seemed to feel rather strongly about it.

Meriwether Lewis gravesite and memorial
Heart 0 Comment 0
This woman is sure Meriwether Lewis did not commit suicide
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode on down the Trace and stopped at several historical sites along the way. The last stop of the day was at Sweetwater Branch. It has a short nature trail along the creek and was very scenic.

Sweetwater Creek
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry going for a walk!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Alain going out of bounds for nature photo
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bright yellow mushroom - photo needed to be taken
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hold up that rock, Viktoriya. Save your captain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Team A is away!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were there about 20 minutes. It was a very nice stop and we enjoyed it, but it came at a little cost. Less than 3 miles from our destination, it started to rain. It only lasted a few minutes, but was enough to get us pretty wet. We were happy to arrive at Miss Monetta’s house to dry off and enjoy a comfortable evening.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 3,638 miles (5,855 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0