Day 74 Grand Rivers to Dover, TN - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2016

Day 74 Grand Rivers to Dover, TN

Today we rode through the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area. The area used to be known as the "land between the rivers" with the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers flowing on each side of a narrow strip on land in Kentucky and Tennessee. The TVA created Kentucky Lake with a flood control dam built in the early 1940's. Lake Barkley was created by a Corps of Engineers dam in 1966. Many people, some by eminent domain, were relocated during these projects. The area between the lakes is now a protected national recreation area. There are campgrounds, lake access points and several educational attractions including an elk and bison trail (not open to bicycles) and an 1850 Homeplace living history farm. The main visitor center told the story of the dams' construction and the sometimes forced relocation of thousands of people.

The area is rolling and heavily wooded. We took the central road the length of the Land Between the Lakes from Grand Rivers,KY to Dover, TN. It was a nice ride. There was very little traffic, even on a summer Saturday. The forecast was for a chance of "waves of very heavy rain", but our amazing luck continued, the rain stayed to our north and we stayed dry.

We made two stops. We checked out the Visitors Center and saw the displays about the history of LBL.

There is an elk-bison preserve with a paved loop road through it. The animals can wander freely across the road. It sounded like fun, bicycles are not allowed. We had to content ourselves with these on display at the visitors center.

There is an elk and bison drive where the animals roam around the road. Bicycles are not allowed!
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the way to the next stop, we entered Tennessee. I think that's state number 11 for this trip. There is still some uncertainty about whether or not we actually entered West Virginia.

Team A at Tennessee line
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry got to Tennessee too, but he wouldn't stand in front of the sign
Heart 0 Comment 0

Next, we stopped at the 1850 Homeplace Living History Farm. It has 15 buildings and costumed interpreters carry out the daily activities of farm life in 1850. It seemed pretty realistic - no electric lit, air conditioned, velvet roped rooms as are found in so many historical recreations.

They called the house a "double pen with breezeway". The term "dog trot" house came into use later.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"Double pen with breezeway" house design
Heart 0 Comment 0
Farm buildings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Purple string beans??
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tobacco - a cash crop in 1850
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pretty blue butterfly
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry and friend
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mule team with sled of chopped wood
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mules
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oxen and barn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Victoriya feeding the pigs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweet face
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 3,433 miles (5,525 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0