Day 69 Lewisport to Henderson - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

August 8, 2016

Day 69 Lewisport to Henderson

We had a long ride today. There were a lot of flat miles - almost like home!- which was good, with some hills to make us work, too.

A view of my view
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left the Quality Inn in Lewisport with a warm send off from the owner/manager. He is very friendly and accommodating and very interested in having cycle tourists at his hotel. It was a great place and we recommend it highly to anyone riding the UGRR route or traveling near Lewisport, KY.

We rode through fields of corn, soybeans and tobacco most of the day. Most of the farm looked well kept and prosperous. We did find a winner for farm name of the day!

Farm name of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode a really nice bike path through the city of Owensboro. We had planned to take the path around town and then connect to local streets to visit the Western Kentucky Botanical Garden. As Team A stopped to check out a signboard with a map of the trail, a local recumbent rider stopped to see if we needed any help with directions. They told him where we were headed and he ended up escorting us all the way there - even taking us on a improved route from the one Ride With GPS made for us. We enjoyed talking with him as we rode and sharing bike touring stories. Thanks, Wayne! It was great meeting you.

The Western Kentucky Botanical Garden is a small area that made a nice, restful place to spend a little time. It was a good way to break up a long riding day.

Flower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butterfly What is it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Car in a garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basket
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sculpture at Botanical Garden
Heart 0 Comment 0

When I was a young girl, I had a wonderful fantasy about living under the branches of a weeping willow tree just like this.

Beautiful weeping willow
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving Owensboro, we were back in farmland. In addition to the corn, soybeans and tobacco we'd been seeing for days, we found some big watermelon fields. If you look closely, you can seethe melons being tossed from the picker to the man loading the truck.

Watermelon harvest - see the melon in the air just to the left of the tractor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another melon on it's way
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 miles (111 km)
Total: 3,292 miles (5,298 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0