Day 6 Folkston to Blackshear - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2016

Day 6 Folkston to Blackshear

Today was about getting out of Tropical Storm Colin's way. We decided to take the most direct route to our next stop. It was 37 miles to here. We left without having breakfast at the B&B so that we could get here to Blackshear ahead of the worst of the storm. Ted, the owner of the Inn at Folkston, made us bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches, and packed them along with fruit and breakfast bars in a to go bag. It was too bad we didn't get to enjoy his breakfast at the inn, but we felt like we needed to get going early. We really appreciated his making us the breakfast to go.

Of the 37 miles we rode this morning, we had light rain for 14 of them. We were getting wet the whole time from all the wet roads and puddles, but it wasn't bad. The wind was light, the terrain was flat and the drivers continued to be considerate and courteous about sharing the road with us. Best sign of the day was the "Humpty Dumpty Hotel" sign at an egg processing plant in Hoboken, GA.

We got to the Comfort Inn here around 10:30 with wet and dirty bikes. The owner, general manager and front desk attendant were just great - very warm and welcoming in spite of the early arrival and our sorry state. They got our bikes settled in their laundry room, gave us old towels and use of their hose to clean the bikes and had all of us in our rooms by 11:00 AM. We went shopping for lunch and dinner food so we wouldn't have to venture back out in the rain tonight and they let us use the breakfast area to have our lunch. We were so happy to be here while the rain poured outside this afternoon. Thank you very much to Bill and Peggy Wall and Jackie Moyer for putting the comfort in Comfort Inn!

Tomorrow was planned as a rest day, so we'll catch up on laundry and give our assorted body parts a day off the bikes. The weather is forecast to be sunny and hot again when we leave here Wednesday morning. There are no pictures today because I had my phone safely sealed in a Ziplock bag.

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 438 miles (705 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0