Day 58 Zanesville to Upper Arlington - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2016

Day 58 Zanesville to Upper Arlington

Today we rode from Zanesville to Upper Arlington (Columbus). We were on US 40, the old National Road, most of the way. The first landmark we came to was the famous Y bridge in Zanesville. It spans the confluence of the Muskingum and Licking Rivers and is the only place in the United States where you can go to the middle of the bridge and turn right or left. Zanesville calls itself "Y Bridge City".

Y Bridge marker
Heart 0 Comment 0
Y Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not long after we got out of town, a guy flagged us down. It turned out to be our friend Roger, who lives in Zanesville and winters near us in Crystal River. He knew we would be riding out today and was waiting for us just to say hello. Good to see you, Roger!

Hi Roger!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road was really good for cycling with wide shoulders most of the way and not much traffic. Along the road, there are old concrete mileage markers which have been restored.

Our bikes on the National Road
Heart 0 Comment 0
National Road mileage marker
Heart 0 Comment 0
National Road information
Heart 0 Comment 0
National Road Monument
Heart 0 Comment 0

At a rest stop near Columbus, a guy in a pickup truck stopped and asked if we had been in Zanesville earlier. It's about the fourth time on our trip that someone in a car has stopped and said he had seen us in a nearby town. I guess we make a memorable sight on the road.

We're visiting Alain's brother Geoff and sister-in-law Marty in Upper Arlington for a couple of days. They have made us feel like part of the family already. We had a really wonderful dinner with great food and conversation. We get to hang out here tomorrow and meet some more of the family. This is my kind of touring schedule - ride a day, then rest and enjoy friends and family for a day. It is very comfortable and relaxing.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0