Day 54 Leamington to Wellington, OH - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2016

Day 54 Leamington to Wellington, OH

We started today with a ferry ride from Leamington to Pelee Island.

Our bike on the Leamington ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Leamington on the ferry
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a smooth trip across Lake Erie, but when we got to Pelee Island we had to wait a few minutes for a thunderstorm to pass before we docked. The rain had stopped, so we had a little while to take a short ride on the island. It is a popular destination for people to take their bikes over for the day. There is almost no traffic and it is a quiet, peaceful ride. The island has a number of summer homes, B&B's and a few tourist oriented businesses. We were told that only about 50 families live there year round.

We had to take a different, smaller ferry from Pelee Island to Sandusky.

The Pelee Islander, ferry to Sandusky,OH
Heart 0 Comment 0

The car deck was so tight that drivers were not allowed to drive their own cars onboard. Ferry staff parked each car. They found a little space for our bikes at the back and we were able to secure them to the side of the vessel. We enjoyed talking to the other passengers on this leg of the trip. There was a teenage girl with her grandfather ( and some other family members) who sat across from us. She was very outgoing, charming, friendly and kind. We enjoyed her company. There were a number of canine passengers also.

A fellow passenger
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our last view of Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first view of Ohio - Kellys Island
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cedar Point amusement park - famous for rollercoasters
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we (finally) got through the customs checkpoint, retrieved our bikes and got underway, there was a light rain. It only lasted about an hour, but it slowed us down late in the afternoon when we had a few hours to ride ahead of us. It was about 7:30 PM before we arrived at our B&B in Wellington. At the last stop before we got there, fatigue and hunger impaired Viktoriya's usual dietary restraint and she succumbed to doughnuts! It's one of the few times we've seen her eat any "junk food" on this journey.

Indulging near the end of a long, occasionally rainy day
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,717 miles (4,373 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0