Day 51 Stratford to Lambton Shores - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2016

Day 51 Stratford to Lambton Shores

It was a good bike touring day. We had a relatively level route and it was warm but not really hot. We cruised through an attractive small town, visited and interesting museum and met a lot of very nice people. And, we encountered no unexpected unpaved roads.

After leaving Stratford, it was 30 miles to the first place to stop. The area we rode through was all agricultural - mostly wheat farms. Harvest seems to be in full swing.

Loading straw
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loading bales of straw
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first town we came to was Exeter. We detoured about a mile off route to ride through downtown. There was a prosperous, active, attractive business district. We stopped at Jennard Cheese and had sandwiches and ice cream. We got into conversations with other patrons, the owner and some passersby on the street. Everyone was very friendly and really interested in hearing about our trip. Our stop turned into an hour and a half stay that we all enjoyed.

Our bike patiently waiting while we socialize with half the population of Exeter, Ontario
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next stop after Jennard was at the Lambton Heritage Museum. The first display we came to had this old bicycle with a wooden frame.

Wooden bicycle frame
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were exhibits about the history of Lambton, lots of artifacts including a barn with old farm machinery and various horse drawn vehicles. One was the first ambulance in Ontario.

Ontario ambulance #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Early combine
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were a number of exhibits of products manufactured in Lambton, including these stoves - which would be very important to people engaged in the work depicted nearby. It would definitely make the list of jobs I would never, ever want to have!

Hot stuff
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cold stuff
Heart 0 Comment 0

In addition to all the nice people we met today, Kerry and Viktoriya both made some non-human new friends.

Kerry and Viktoriya making a friend
Heart 0 Comment 0
Viktoriya making a friend
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we have completed exactly half of our planned days. Tomorrow we start heading south.

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 2,536 miles (4,081 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0