Day 44 Meadville to Erie - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2016

Day 44 Meadville to Erie

A little light rain to start gave way to a beautiful cycling day. We left Meadville about 7:30 in light rain, but by 8:15 all the rain had stopped and we rode on into Erie dry and comfortable. There was less (a LOT less) climbing than yesterday, so we covered the short 40 mile route in just over 3 hours. Our route was again through rolling farmland.

Rural scene
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Pennsylvania farm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hay bales
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the tiny village of Crossingville, we stopped for a break. We often take pictures of the places and people we see, but this time a car pulled in behind and the driver got out. She was so delighted with seeing our tandems on the road, she asked if she could take our picture. She said her family had a tandem when she was a child.

We were lucky to have a room ready for us when we arrived in Erie, so we checked in and went to lunch. After lunch, we rode over to Presque Isle State Park and made a loop around the peninsula. It was a cool place to ride along Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay. We learned about Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry of "Don't Give UP the Ship" fame and visited the Presque Isle Lighthouse.

Tandems enjoying Presque Isle Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Perry Monument
Heart 0 Comment 0
Story of Commodore Perry
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Presque Isle Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Presque Isle Lighthouse
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided not to go out for dinner, but to get sandwiches and salads and eat at the motel. That light meal left room for ice cream. Since we don't have freezers in our rooms and really hate to waste food, a half gallon of Moose Tracks was quickly, and completely, consumed. (With the new downsizing of ice cream cartons, it was probably only 1.75 quarts, which is a very reasonable serving for four, I think.)

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 2,154 miles (3,467 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0