Day 41 Pittsburgh to Beaver Falls - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2016

Day 41 Pittsburgh to Beaver Falls

Today was bridge day. We crossed the Monongahela once, the Allegheny once, the Ohio SIX times and the Beaver River once. We saw many more bridges as we rode along the rivers.

View up Monongahela
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridge in Pittsburgh
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took the GAP into downtown Pittsburgh. The trail ends at Point State Park, which is at the confluence of the Monongahela, Allegheny and Ohio Rivers. There is a long incline railway, the Monongahela Incline, near there which dates from 1870 and is the oldest continuously operating funicular in the United States.

Monongahela Incline
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked and rode around the park for a while and took a bunch of pictures.

Point State Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fountain at Point State Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heinz Field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Team Two Far at three rivers confluence
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next section of today's route was a few miles north on the Three Rivers Heritage Trail.

Three Rivers Heritage Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

The bridge on the Three Rivers Heritage Trail had numerous locks attached a la Paris (and many other places).

Locks on bridge - very European!
Heart 0 Comment 0

From there, we left trails behind and were back on roads. There were a couple of steep hills that were type 2 fun for me on the way to our overnight stay. A few locals had expressed concern about the traffic we would encounter on some roads north of the city, but the drivers were patient and careful and we never felt uncomfortable.

We rode through a number of small towns headed north. Some were typical "rust belt" towns, but Sewickley was a very prosperous town with a lively downtown and streets lined with large, beautiful old homes.

Sewickley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sewickley
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sewickley
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're in Beaver Falls, PA tonight, boyhood home of Joe Namath.

Main street of Beaver Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,005 miles (3,227 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0