Day 33 Falls Church to Frederick, MD - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2016

Day 33 Falls Church to Frederick, MD

After a pause in our traveling, we got back on the road today. Our Washington, DC interlude was great, but it felt good to be moving forward again. We rode the W&OD trail up to Leesburg, VA then took White's Ferry over to Maryland to start the C&O Canal towpath trail.

White's Ferry the "Jubal Early"
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is a short ride across the Potomac on a cable ferry. There were a bunch of cyclists and families picnicking at White's Ferry. We had our usual fun talking to people about our trip.

Team Two Far arrives in Maryland
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a brief false start down the wrong path, we found the C&O and had a nice ride for about 10 miles. The surface is packed gravel and wasn't hard to ride. It took a little adjustment after 1500 miles of asphalt, but we rolled along without any problems. Some of the old canal still held water and parts of it were dry. There are remnants of old locks and we passed one building I think was an old lock house.

Riding on the C&O Canal towpath trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old lock on C&O
Heart 0 Comment 0
The C&O canal today
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at the Monocacy Aqueduct which was the largest of the 11 aqueducts built on the C&O. It was restored about 10 years ago and is pretty impressive.

The Monocacy Aqueduct
Heart 0 Comment 0

We checked into our hotel mid-afternoon and Viktoriya got a recommendation from the front desk clerk for a Greek restaurant very close by. What a great place! The food was terrific, the service (from the owner) was outstanding and we decided it was probably the best overall dining experience of our trip. Thank you Analia's Café for a memorable lunch!

After lunch, we rode into downtown Frederick to see the murals and waterfront park. It is a beautiful, thriving downtown area. We walked the bikes along both side of the Carroll Creek park and then rode around the downtown streets for a while.

Bridge mural Frederick, MD
Heart 0 Comment 0
Carroll Creek Park
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a long and happy day of cycling and sightseeing.

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,670 miles (2,688 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0