Day 30 in Falls Church - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2016

Day 30 in Falls Church

Kerry wasn't feeling well this morning, so we stayed in until noon. He recovered enough to feel like taking the Metro into Washington to meet Team A on the Mall.

Team A in front of the Smithsonian Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked along the Mall with lots of other tourists and lots of camp and school groups.

The National Mall
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Capital
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Washington Monument
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to visit the Air and Space Museum. Kerry really didn't feel well, so he rested in a chair while the three of us toured. (We weren't being heartless. He really insisted that we go ahead and tour without him as he was "in his comfort zone" sitting there.)

I've been to the Air and Space Museum a few times, but it is always exciting for me to see the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo artifacts. I was in first grade when Alan Shepard made his first flight, going into tenth when Armstrong stepped on the moon and a freshman in college when man last landed on the moon. I feel like I grew up with the early manned space program. I have great memories of being glued to the TV watching Walter Cronkite bring every minute of those amazing flights to me and my family.

After Air and Space and walking around the Mall, we were ready to head back on the Metro. The train was pretty crowded at rush hour. Kerry decided to run down to the next car from where we were waiting to board. Unfortunately, he was too late. He tried to squeeze through, but the door closed - on him - and he had to pull back out. He wasn't hurt, but I was worried because he had been feeling so bad all day. Team A and I rode to our station in Falls Church and waited. The next train arrived five minutes later and Kerry got off smiling. So, everything was fine. The conductor on our train did make an announcement after we pulled away without Kerry about not messing with the doors and being careful keeping your party together - of course Kerry wasn't there to hear it, but we did share that information with him later.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0