Day 21 Gatesville to Suffolk, VA - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2016

Day 21 Gatesville to Suffolk, VA

We had a short route today, so we slept in and didn't leave our AirBNB house until 9:30. Leaving Gatesville, we were lucky to turn onto country roads not used by the big trucks we shared the road with yesterday. Some of the log trucks must have stopped here.

Sawmill near Gatesville
Heart 0 Comment 0

Early in the ride this morning, Viktoriya spotted some luscious ripe blackberries growing on the side of the road. Team A made a smooth U-turn to allow her to pick some. Team S did not do so well. Kerry made sharp left turn with no warning and I was still clipped in. He didn't get the bike all the way around the turn, so we came to a stop but were unable to keep the bike upright and with both of us clipped in on the right, down we went. The only damage, except to our pride, was a tear in the wrist strap which holds my heart rate monitor and a tear in the handlebar tape on my right handlebar. We didn't have any injuries - and didn't even get our clothes dirty. I was concerned about messing up my beautiful Two Far jersey, but it was unscathed.

Our scenery today was farms and farms and farms. We saw a lot of wheat growing, which we hadn't seen much of before today.

Wheat harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheat harvest
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was some corn and few tobacco fields. We kept seeing on newly planted crop which we didn't recognize. We finally identified it as cotton.

We entered Virginia today -state number 5 on this trip

Three of us standing under Virginia sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry not standing under Virginia sign
Heart 0 Comment 0

The roads were OK, but not as smooth and nice as North Carolina roads.

Virginia road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Smooth North Carolina road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0