Day 101 Perry to Chiefland - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2016

Day 101 Perry to Chiefland

Today we rode south on US 19 - the road to home! It is a good road for cycling with not too much traffic and a wide shoulder in most places. It is not such a good road for scenery. From Perry to Cross City, it is pretty much just trees and more trees. I hate to say it was boring, but honestly, it is a boring place to ride.

US 19 south of Perry - easy cycling, but not much to see
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Cross City, I faced an unexpected severe disappointment. We stopped at Dairy Queen and I ordered the chocolate ice cream I'd been dreaming about for twenty miles. They had NO CHOCOLATE! I didn't want vanilla with hot fudge or vanilla dipped in chocolate, I wanted Dairy Queen chocolate soft serve! I managed not to cry as I left the counter, but I was very sad.

The Nature Coast Trail is a rail trail that starts at Cross City and goes to Trenton and to Chiefland in a "Y" configuration.

The Nature Coast Trail - an excellent Florida rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

About ten miles from Cross City, there is a restored trestle across the Suwannee River. It is the highlight of the trail.

Trestle over the Suwannee on the Nature Coast Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Suwannee River
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had planned to take the leg that goes to Chiefland for a 63 mile day. Yesterday Alain asked "Are we going by the place where the quilting ladies serve the really big pieces of cake?" He was talking about the Suwannee Rose Café in Trenton. We had eaten there with Team A (before they were Team A, still just Viktoriya and Alain then) last fall and he had fond memories of the bakery case. It was a small modification of today's route to divert to Trenton, so we went there for lunch. A satisfyingly large piece of pumpkin cake was ordered for dessert. My gastronomic desires continued to be thwarted today, however. They were out of my favorite thing - potato salad.

This is the place - quilting ladies with cake
Heart 0 Comment 0
It all looks so good...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Which one is looking at me?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pumpkin cake - enough to share
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left Trenton and rode the final ten miles to Chiefland in the hot afternoon sun. We are definitely back in Florida!

Today's ride: 73 miles (117 km)
Total: 4,917 miles (7,913 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0