A little night music - Two Far 2016 - Florida to Ontario: A Round Trip - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2016

A little night music

Today was a momentous day for us since we were scheduled to reach Stratford Ontario, the northern most point on our route. But before we could celebrate this halfway there moment, we had to ride from Dundas to Stratford.

All day yesterday we had been in the relatively flat area between Lake Ontario and the Niagara escarpment. Today we had run out of flat and had to climb up the escarpment. To prepare we first ate a nice breakfast at our B&B in Dundas.

B&B in Dundas Ontario
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road we had planned to take up the escarpment was closed for bridge repair. Travis, our B&B host gave us an alternate route and added cheerfully that it was a favorite training route of Clara Hughes. Since Clara had won multiple Olympic metals representing Canada in cycling and skating, this information was not all that reassuring. Less than a mile from the B&B the road tilted up and we quickly used up all our gears. Yes, we did use our patented supper low gear, so it is unlikely we beat Clara's personal best.

Nice view as we pause for oxegin at Clara's corner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our modified route added several miles to our planned distance for the day. We made two or three more detours to avoid gravel roads and heavy traffic. Our rural route did allow us to admire the farming a top the escarpment. Even though there has been a drought, most of the crops looked good to our untrained eyes.

The crops look good. This tractor, not so much...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jeanna left the road to make a positive ID on this broccoli. Most likely cauliflower and ranch dressing are growing nearby.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were lucky that it stayed comfortably cool all afternoon. We were scheduled to see a Little Night Music at 8:00 at a theater in Stratford. With all our detours we didn't arrive until after 6:00. We ordered up a cab to take us from the hotel into town for the musical, putting us back on schedule.The production was excellent - all's well that ends well.

Stratford at last!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0