Day 96: Quebec City - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2017

Day 96: Quebec City

We spent hours today exploring Old Quebec. It is very beautiful - quaint and charming - and also very crowded with tourists. After so many weeks of small towns and tiny villages, it really seemed busy. The old streets are lined with shops and restaurants. Every restaurant seemed to have outdoor seating and the tables were full from mid-day until late in the evening. It has been warm and sunny and everyone wants to be outside.

One of the cobblestone streets
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old city street with a view of the funicular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The funicular rises 194 feet at a 45 degree angle. It was first opened in 1879.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A gate into the walled old city
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a tour of the Citadelle of Quebec, which was built by the British following the War of 1812 to protect Quebec from attacks by the Americans.
Quebec was first founded by the French in 1608 and after over a hundred years of struggle for control with the British, it finally fell into British control in 1760, after both Quebec City and Montreal were captured by the British in what is called "The Conquest". American Revolutionary forces under Generals Benedict Arnold and Robert Montgomery had attacked Quebec City on December 31, 1775, but were repelled. General Montgomery was killed here. Americans attacked again during the War of 1812, attempting to take Montreal, again unsuccessfully. The British felt they needed to strengthen their defenses in case of future attack. But, since it was completed in the mid-1800's, the Citadelle has never been attacked. It is the home of Canada's only solely Francophone infantry regiment, the Royal 22nd Regiment.

A guard at the Citadelle.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It is on the highest point of the city and has great views of the city and the St. Lawrence River.

View down the river from the Citadelle
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Old Quebec from the Citadelle
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later in the day we walked along the riverfront and took a few more pictures.

The Chateau Frontenac is Quebec City's best known landmark. It was opened in 1893 by the Canadian Pacific Railway to attract well to do travelers. Some sources cite it as the most photographed hotel inn the world.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A cool place for a cool drink - on the riverfront
Heart 0 Comment 0
The flagpole in the upper center is at the Citadelle where I took the pictures this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0