Day 92: Edmundston, NB to Cabano, QC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2017

Day 92: Edmundston, NB to Cabano, QC

We started our day with a visit to the New Brunswick Botanical Garden. (Actually, we started our day with a visit to Tim Horton's. I'm starting to give some credence to the theory that they put some addictive chemical in their coffee. The service is inefficient and slow and they we out of over half of their bakery items at 9:00AM! But, the place was still full and a significant majority of the patrons were only drinking coffee.)

Back to the Garden - it is a New Brunswick Provincial Park and very well done. There were 12 theme gardens, a stone circle and a butterfly aviary.

A plant sculpture of an Acadian farmer
Heart 0 Comment 0
A plant sculpture bird
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flowers in the perennial garden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Garden pond
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gazebo
Heart 0 Comment 0
They had a medicinal plants garden. All these bottles contain dried plants from their garden. They use them to make tea and also lotions and balms. They may do more, but there was a language barrier between us and the young woman working there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the dried botanicals
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stone circle like Stonehenge
Heart 0 Comment 0
These blue butterflies were flying around in the aviary
Heart 0 Comment 0
This butterfly was just emerging from it's chrysalis.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From there, we rode on the New Brunswick Trail which shortly became Quebec's Route Verte 8.

Our first snake sighting in Canada!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Welcome to Quebec - a new place for us
Heart 0 Comment 0
Route Verte bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Steep rock on each side of the trail. We like flat trails!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we had read, the surface was much better in Quebec than it had been in New Brunswick. It is a very firm surface with fine stone dust. This was really good news because we have a lot of miles planned on Route Verte trails in the next 3 weeks. We still prefer pavement to unpaved trails but there is a serious price to pay in elevation gain on the roads in some of the places we'll be riding.

For much of today, we had a nice view of Lake Temiscouata. We passed marinas, campgrounds and vacation homes all along the lakeshore.

Lake Temiscouata
Heart 0 Comment 0
A marina on the lake
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tonight we're in a B&B in the lakefront town of Cabano. Tomorrow we will reach Riviere-du-Loup and the St. Lawrence River.

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 3,778 miles (6,080 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0