Day 86: Moncton, NB to Jemseg, NB - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2017

Day 86: Moncton, NB to Jemseg, NB

The view from our motel this morning was much clearer after yesterday's storms passed through.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was the longest of our remaining routes. (Kerry here. I just want all of friends to know, that because of the distance we needed to cover, I was up at 6:30 and pedaling by 7:45. Such are the demands of touring, but don't expect this for our weekly rides at home :-)) It was all on very low traffic roads. Some were in good shape, others not so much. It was a patch and pothole heavy day.

All our roads today were very low traffic, but not all had this good surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed dairy farms and corn fields today and miles of just woods.

Red dairy barn
Heart 0 Comment 0

Much of the way we were on the "old highway" from before the TransCanada 2 was built.
It wasn't very scenic. We had a stretch of 40 miles with no services. We took a couple of roadside breaks and it was fine.

We saw this guy out fly fishing in the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The store we came to after the 40 miles must be the only one for some distance in every direction. It was very busy. The lines were long and there was even a line for the men's room. That's not something you see very often. They said they had WIFI, but we weren't able to get on. We had mediocre subs and very welcome Diet Coke and moved on.

We hit a really strong headwind after leaving that store. It was one of the strongest winds we've had on this trip. About ten miles up the road, we came to LLL Take Out, a roadside dairy bar in an old railway car. It was a good place to take a rest break, but we weren't in the mood for ice cream. There was too much hard pedaling ahead. We did meet a nice family from Fredericton who gave us a good suggestion for lunch tomorrow.

It was so windy there were white caps on the lake. The brown area near the shore is the silt all stirred up by the wind.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The LLL Take Out Dairy Bar
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last 10 miles were not quite as windy, but we were working pretty hard. We were very glad to turn into the motel parking lot. Kerry went into the unlocked office and there was no one there. A sign gave a phone number to call to check in. Since our cell phones are inoperative in Canada, that wasn't going to happen. He walked across the street where some guys were working on a house to see if we could borrow a phone or get some information. It turned out to be the motel owner's house, so she walked over and checked us in. Problem solved!

We went to a nearby store/restaurant, had a good meal and bought some snacks for the room tonight, so our 71 mile day is happily concluded!.

Today's ride: 71 miles (114 km)
Total: 3,529 miles (5,679 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0