Day 85: Grand Barachois, NB to Moncton, NB - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2017

Day 85: Grand Barachois, NB to Moncton, NB

We expected a short, easy ride today. It did turn out to be short, at least. The ride from Grand Barachois to Shediac was very nice. There were some nice water views.

Grand Barachois view next to our motel
Heart 0 Comment 0

This seems to be a popular place for visiting the beaches. We stopped for some breakfast at Sobey's in Shediac, then turned southwest toward Moncton. We were on very rural roads with almost no traffic and also no stores. After 15 miles, we saw an auto service place in Irishtown. We thought at least it would be a place to take a break. That was another good choice we made. Becky, working in front, welcomed us to come in and rest. They had some comfortable seats for customers waiting for the cars and a cooler of drinks. She refused to let us pay for the juice we had (there was no Diet Coke). We sat and had a nice conversation with her. Thank you, Becky, for your hospitality.

Becky at Phil Goudreau Auto Service in Irishtown. I'm so glad we decided to stop in.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few more miles up the road, we stopped at the Magnetic Hill Winery. We tried something new there - rhubarb wine. It wasn't bad - Kerry even liked it. We had been climbing for miles and there was a good view across downtown Moncton from there.

View over Moncton from Magnetic Hill Winery
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our motel was only 5 more miles, but it was a tough ride. We had been going uphill into the wind for miles, but after that last stop, the headwind got really strong. The last 2 miles we were both struggling. But we made it, checked in and went to the adjacent restaurant for a good lunch. As we were walking out the front door of the restaurant, there a bolt of lightning right over us. A few minutes later, we had a strong thunderstorm with hail. All is well now, we just have to get mentally prepared for our long 64 mile ride tomorrow.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 3,458 miles (5,565 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0