Day 8: Glennville, GA to Sylvania, GA - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 5, 2017

Day 8: Glennville, GA to Sylvania, GA

In yesterday’s journal, we forgot to mention that we did beat the rain. We reached Glennville around 12:30, checked in, changed clothes, went to lunch, purchased our daily allotment of junk food and were back in our room before the rain started. It rained all afternoon, so we just stayed in our room and played on our computers. Dinner, however, was a different story as it still raining. We ended up walking to the closest restaurant (McDonald’s) in a light drizzle. While we may prefer to get up early in order to stay dry, we would rather get wet than go hungry.

Today’s ride was the best so far. We spent the entire day riding on gently rolling country roads that had almost no traffic – sometimes we rode for miles without seeing a single vehicle. We mostly rode through agricultural areas. We passed fields of onions, carrots, squash, corn and other crops.

Onions drying in the field
Heart 0 Comment 0
More onions
Heart 0 Comment 0

In addition to seeing the usual cows and horses, we also saw a couple of goat farms and an alpaca farm.

Morning cows
Heart 0 Comment 0
You lookin' at me?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A field of goats
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first stop was at a convenience store in Daisy, GA., but the restrooms were allegedly out of order. We then went to the post office to see if they had a bathroom. They did, and then the postmaster asked where we were from. When we told him, he said that he had had just been in Crystal River last week to go fishing. We had a nice chat and invited him to get in touch with us the next time he come to town to go fishing.

Caboose in Daisy, GA
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry and Bird, Daisy post office
Heart 0 Comment 0

We knew that today’s ride was going to be long, but it turned out even longer than expected. Out in the middle of nowhere we came upon a sign that said “Road Closed – Bridge Out” and detour signs that pointed both ways. We had no idea whether to go left or right. Fortunately, we saw a young woman walking and she gave us directions. The detour only took us a couple of miles out of our way, and then we were back on course.

Not a lot of help here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pondering which way to go
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to our B&B around 4PM after riding 74 miles, but it really was a fun day.

We brought cold weather gear in case we needed it "up north". We did not expect to wear it in south Georgia! I wore this all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow's journey takes us to Yemassee, SC. It is expected to be cold again, so you can look forward to more pictures of Jeanna all bundled up :-)

Today's ride: 74 miles (119 km)
Total: 397 miles (639 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0