Day 78: Summerside, PEI - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2017

Day 78: Summerside, PEI

Today was a rest day in Summerside. It is a tourist-oriented small town with a nice waterfront area.

A view of the Summerside harbor from the boardwalk trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a boardwalk along the water, with shops, restaurants and some attractions. We especially liked the inflatable water obstacle course that was in the harbor. We spent a lot of time watching children, teenagers and a few adults trying to conquer the obstacles. It looked like a lot of fun, except for the temperature of the water. If there were something like that in Florida, I'd love to try it.

The water obstacle course
Heart 0 Comment 0
It looked like fun
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent a few hours walking around the historic and waterfront districts. The Port of Summerside Marine Terminal contains a large climate-controlled warehouse where potatoes are prepared for export. On the side of the building was an exhibit detailing the history of the potato on PEI. We learned that in the mid-to-late 1800’s it was cheaper and easier for farmers in the region to ship their potatoes to the Caribbean than it was to transport them 40 miles overland to Charlottetown.

The terminal from which PEI potatoes are loaded and shipped
Heart 0 Comment 0

The HMCS Summerside was also docked alongside the Marine Terminal. It is a current generation minesweeper / coastal defense vessel and looked as if it might be open for tours. We walked down there and learned that it wasn't, but had a nice time talking to another couple we met whose son is a naval lieutenant.

HMCS Summerside It's a minesweeper and coastal patrol vessel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Signs around town advertised a lobster festival July 13-15. We saw vendors set up along three blocks downtown, with one food vendor and one guy playing guitar and singing. Maybe there was to be more tonight, but there wasn't anything lobster related that we saw. You know you're not in the States when there are dozens of street vendors and only one is selling food!

There were numerous vendors, but no lobster and only one food vendor.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we are headed to St. Anthony where we will be staying at the Mill River Resort. A WARM and SUNNY day is forecast, so we are really looking forward to our ride :-)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0