Day 70: Liscomb Mills, NS to Sherbrooke, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2017

Day 70: Liscomb Mills, NS to Sherbrooke, NS

Our water scene for today, while on the way to Sherbrooke.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a short ride today to Sherbrooke. There, we toured Sherbrooke Village, a restored historical village depicting life in 1867, the year of the Canadian
Confederation. We have been to a number of historical sites focused on the same time period over the years, so some the exhibits are getting repetitive. (All blacksmith shops from the mid-1800's pretty much look the same.) Even so, we always learn something interesting at each new place.

Today, we learned more about the Canadian Confederation. Several of the buildings had black cloths tacked to the outside. When we asked about this, we were told it was a symbol of mourning for Nova Scotia becoming part of the Canadian Confederation. I don't know all the reasons behind it, but at the time Nova Scotia was strongly anti-confederation, seeing it as annexation of their colony by Canada.

Here are some pictures from the village.

Street view in Sherbrooke Village
Heart 0 Comment 0
The St. Mary's River from Sherbrooke Village
Heart 0 Comment 0
Doctor's office in his home
Heart 0 Comment 0
Playing in the print shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tasting spoon for soup - the large end is dipped in the soup, then the liquid will run to the small end for sanitary tasting. Microbial infection was unknown in the 1860's, so I doubt this is an authentic historic design.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Penny farthing - not an antique, but recently made in California
Heart 0 Comment 0
Raceway and water wheel at the sawmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sawmill was running.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we leave the coast and ride northwest to New Glasgow. It is a 55 mile route across the province and, as far as we can tell now, there are no services along the way. We'll have plenty of water and snacks, but no Diet Coke and NO bathrooms - I really don't like to have to use the "green room". (I always think of you in this situation, EDR. You're the only female I know who loves going outdoors)

Today's ride: 16 miles (26 km)
Total: 2,846 miles (4,580 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0