Day 68: Lawrencetown, NS to Tangier, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2017

Day 68: Lawrencetown, NS to Tangier, NS

Today started with an excellent breakfast at the Coastal Waters B&B. Carolyn made a red, white and blue fruit parfait in honor of Independence Day. Our table companions were travelers from Germany. We enjoyed talking with them over breakfast.

A patriotic parfait and an excellent breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were on the road before 10AM - early for us lately. It was warm enough to ride without a jacket and the sun was shining!

We stopped first at an Acadian homestead museum in Chezzetcook. The young women there gave a good tour. We learned about an Acadian tradition during Lent called "Mi-Careme" which involves dressing in costume and giving candy to children - a way to brighten the privations and somber mood of Lent.

A Mi-Careme costume for livening up Lent. It is a mid-Lent tradition practiced only by Canadian Acadians.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At a break in the next village, we saw this at a small railroad museum. I guess you need really big snow plows to clear tracks up here!

A really big snow plow
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next place we visited was a Fisherman's Life Museum. It is a house first built in 1857 and occupied by the family until 1957. The son of the original builder inherited the house in 1901 and he and his wife raised 13 daughters there. There were no fishermen to carry on the family business because girls were not allowed on fishing boats at the time. It was believed that women and chickens were bad luck on boats.

The main living area for a family of 15
Heart 0 Comment 0
The attic "dormitory"
Heart 0 Comment 0
The nursery - the oldest daughter slept nearby to tend to the babies
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's route was sparsely populated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of our coastal views today looked like this...
Heart 0 Comment 0
but, then we had some glorious blue sky and sunshine part of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're at a very rustic B&B tonight. It's a base camp for sea kayaking. They do both day and extended trips. The owners are leaving tomorrow with a group of 15 on a 8 day trip. They will carry everything with them and camp and cook along the way. What we're doing seems very easy compared to that.

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 2,779 miles (4,472 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0