Day 67: Boutiliers Point, NS to Lawrencetown, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2017

Day 67: Boutiliers Point, NS to Lawrencetown, NS

I was unhappy when I looked out this morning and saw gray sky again. It was chilly and damp. But, things improved during the morning and by noon we had sunshine and almost warm temperatures. It was so good to see the sun again!

The cheap motel we were in last night didn't have breakfast, so we stopped a few miles up the road and got some good pastries at the grocery store. That fueled us up for the ride through the urban areas of Halifax and Dartmouth. We took the bicycle lane across the Macdonald Bridge over the Halifax Harbour.

The Macdonald Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

Dartmouth is just across the harbour from Halifax. From the Dartmouth side, we had a nice view of some cruise ships and the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier. My pictures didn't come out very good.

View of Halifax Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
The aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and cruise ships in Halifax Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our route put us on a paved bike path along the Dartmouth waterfront for a short distance. We had to go through two gates where the trail crossed an active RR line. They wanted to be sure no one rode across the tracks without stopping. They certainly succeeded at that!

Not a tandem friendly gate design
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry was able to maneuver the bike through without removing the panniers - or the front wheel - but it was tight!
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Dartmouth, we went through an industrial area that had a couple of oil refineries and a huge "autoport". There was an enormous ship unloading cars. People were driving the cars out of stern of the ship. It was the "Splendid Ace" and is a "RO-RO" ship. Cars are rolled on and rolled off.

Thousands of cars unloaded at Halifax
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a huge ship unloading when we drove past, but I didn't get a picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode along the coastline to the little community of Lawrencetown where we have a very nice B&B for the night. We stopped at a roadside park in Cow Bay for some pictures.

The moose at Silver Sands Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
About the moose
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from Silver Sands Beach
Heart 0 Comment 0

The closest place to eat is a few miles away, so we stopped at a deli/grocery on the way in to get something for supper. While we were there, we talked to three women who were sailors from the Eisenhower. They had been out hiking today and were waiting to return to the ship. One of the women was also a Floridian - from Dunedin. She's looking forward to getting back to Florida in a few months. We had fun talking to them. It was great to meet you all.

Shelby from Newport News, VA, Deanna from Dunedin, FL and Baby from Tennessee. Hope you all made it back to the ship!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 2,732 miles (4,397 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0