Day 65: Lunenburg, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2017

Day 65: Lunenburg, NS

We spent the day sightseeing in Lunenburg. We visited the Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic and then walked around town. Lunenburg is very picturesque but very hilly. There is a self-guided walking tour that has historical markers with information about the town's history that we found very interesting. Lunenburg is also designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Town because of it's importance to Atlantic Canada's fishing history.

Our hotel, the Rum Runner Inn, from the waterfront
Heart 0 Comment 0

The museum has an aquarium section with the expected north Atlantic fish and also this guy. I should have written down his name, but I didn't. I'll just call him "the ugliest fish I've ever seen".

A very ugly fish!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The exhibits included two retired fishing vessels. One was the Cape Sable, a trawler which was used until 1982. The guide on board was a recently retired commercial fishing captain who had spent 54 years at sea. He was the perfect person to tell us about life and work on a fishing boat.

The Cape Sable - a side trawler
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many things we would not like about working on a fishing boat. This room contains berths for a dozen men. Showers were allowed every 4-5 days.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got a treat at the museum - free birthday cake for Canada - Happy 150th!

Jeanna celebrating Canada Day at the Fisheries Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the museum, we walked around Lunenburg. Kerry chose this route. We had to go through a gate, but we made it. Since it is a holiday, no one was working,

Kerry insisted we walk straight here. We made it through.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the Ironworks Distillery, we got to help Canada celebrate with a Canada cocktail sample. It was sparkling wine, either cranberry or strawberry liqueur, a frozen piece of the same fruit and a mint leaf. They were very good. We like the cranberry best. Too bad carrying bottles of liqueur doesn't work with cycle touring.

Ali happily serving Canada cocktails
Heart 0 Comment 0
Liam and Dina at the distillery
Heart 0 Comment 0

Walking along the waterfront, we went out on the "Railway Wharf" - it's easy to see where it got it's name.

This was called the Railway Wharf. You can see where the tracks were.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Maude Adams is an active factory freezer scallop trawler.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We finished our walk about 5:00. It was a good day with memorable experience and nice people, but another day without a single ray of sunshine. I thought how really beautiful this scene would be with the sunlight glinting off the water!

Sailboats anchored at Lunenburg under a very gray sky
Heart 0 Comment 0

The forecast is for more rain tomorrow, but a decreasing chance in the afternoon, so we'll see how lucky we get, We have a 44 mile ride to the little community of Boutiliers Point, just south of Halifax.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0