Day 6: Blackshear, GA - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2017

Day 6: Blackshear, GA

This was our first rest day. In addition to doing a lot of resting, we walked around downtown Blackshear and revisited some of the places we went when we were here last summer.

We walked by the barber shop where we all went with Alain to get his hair cut. He spent about 45 minutes in the chair - 5 getting the actual haircut interspersed with about 40 minutes of the barber's stories. It was pretty entertaining. The shop was closed today. There was a sign on the door which said "Gone to the foot DR." - probably an occupational hazard of barbering.

Site of a memorable visit last summer
Heart 0 Comment 0
Probably an occupational hazard of barbers
Heart 0 Comment 0

Blackshear is a railroad town. The tracks run right through downtown. There seem to be a number of prosperous businesses in the old downtown area.

Tracks run right into downtown
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Blackshear
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry walked into the Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center while I was outside taking pictures. The woman there, Angela Manders, immediately said to him "You're the biker!" She remembered us from last year. We talked about last year's trip and our plans for this year. She had followed us here on Crazy Guy on and off. Then we had a good time asking her questions about Blackshear history and the town today. She is very enthusiastic about her town. If you are doing the Atlantic Coast route, stop in Blackshear and visit Angela.

Chamber of Commerce Welcome Center in old train depot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry and Angela with her picture in Georgia Trend magazine
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we are headed to Glennville, GA. The forecast calls for afternoon thunderstorms, so we will be leaving earlier than usual to try and avoid them. We like sleeping in, but we like staying dry even more!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0