Day 58: St. John, NB to Weymouth, NS - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2017

Day 58: St. John, NB to Weymouth, NS

This was a very long full day. Our original plan was to take the 8AM ferry to Digby, however it was raining and cold at 6:30AM and the forecast was for rain until late afternoon. Since we had another 2 1/2 hours to bike after the ferry ride, we decided to wait for the afternoon ferry and possibly better weather. About 10:30, there was a break in the rain, so we loaded up the bike and rode the short distance to the ferry terminal. It wasn't raining, but we got wet riding through the puddles on the road we couldn't avoid. We arrived at the ferry terminal 3 hours before the scheduled departure and found that there were already a few people there. We had WIFI and human interaction to keep us occupied while we waited. We always have fun when we have people to talk to!

The nasty weather continued all day. We boarded the ferry for a moderately rough 2 1/2 hour crossing. These are the pictures I took from the windows - the total view we had on the whole trip.

Bay of Fundy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bay of Fundy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bay of Fundy - amazing views, right?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry boat itself was very comfortable with excellent seating, food and drink service, movie lounges and plenty of room to wander around while underway. There is also plenty of outdoor seating which went completely unused today.

We got off the ferry in Digby, Nova Scotia about 4:30 and rode into town. We almost had some sunshine for about two minutes. If you look closely at the picture, you can see a sliver of blue under the clouds.

There was a very brief sliver of blue in the sky at Digby, NS
Heart 0 Comment 0

Digby is a nice town, famous for it's scallops. The tide was out and there were long expanses of land that are underwater at high tide.

Digby is famous for it's scallops. We had them bacon wrapped at the Fundy Restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Boy of Fundy has the greatest tidal change in the world, I think.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to have an early dinner there before going on to Weymouth. That turned out to be a great idea. We rode past a number of restaurants and stopped at the Fundy Restaurant. It was outstanding in every way - the food, the service, the helpfulness of the staff - a great experience after a not so great ferry ride.

View from our table at the Fundy Restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0

After dinner, we headed south to Weymouth. It wasn't raining, but the fog was so low and heavy, it was like pedaling through water. We made one stop on the way at the Wagner's Country Store in Erighton. We were welcomed by Duke, his assistant Connie and friend Carson. The ice cream was great!

Duke - most important member of the staff at Wagner's
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was after 8PM when we finally got to the Goodwin Hotel in Weymouth. It's an old building, but the room was clean and comfortable. We had to empty out all the panniers because everything was so damp. We spread our stuff all over the room (and even borrowed a little space in a empty room across the hall) and were finally ready to go to bed about 9:30. It was the longest travel day of the trip so far and I was very glad to call it a day.

Today's ride: 77 miles (124 km)
Total: 2,399 miles (3,861 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0