Day 56: Blacks Harbour, NB - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 22, 2017

Day 56: Blacks Harbour, NB

Today was a rest day in Blacks Harbour. We are at an excellent B&B, run by Alex and Wanda, called the Harbour Tide Inn.

The Harbour Tide B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a good breakfast, we enjoyed some quality computer time, then Kerry went out and gave the bike a thorough bath.

Bike washing day
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was warm enough by then to walk around town. We went exploring the village. Just down the street, we saw a car with Florida plates. We had to speak to them, of course. They were Cindy and Rick Bettis from The Villages who are traveling in their RV. It was nice talking to you guys.

Cindy and Rick Bettis from The Villages
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the harbor, Kerry talked to a guy working on his boat. I talked with his wife, who was sitting in their truck, watching him, "to be sure he doesn't fall in" she said.

Boats at Blacks Harbour. Kerry talked to Jim, the owner of the Haven Lady in the center of the picture. He was retired and restoring the boat as "a toy" according to his wife!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked down to the fish cannery, which does sardines, kippered herring and salmon in lots of varieties.

The Brunswick cannery - no tours available
Heart 0 Comment 0

This brand, Brunswick, is what Kerry buys at home in Publix. The local store had some flavors he's never seen and everything in bulk packaging. The company, Connors Bros., was incorporated here in Blacks Harbour in 1893, but merged with Bumblebee in 2004. Blacks Harbour bills itself as the world's largest producer of canned sardines.

Brunswick products in the local market. We didn't see any individual cans for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
They had a whole lot of cans of a whole lot of of different products
Heart 0 Comment 0

We came back to the B&B to have some lunch, then Alex offered to show us around the area in his car -

We were very happy to accept that offer!

1969 Mustang convertible - YES, we'd like to take a ride!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Alex, Wanda, Kerry and I went for a narrated tour of Blacks Harbour and Beaver Harbour.

Lighthouse at Beaver Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Breakwater at Beaver Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing boat leaving Beaver Harbour
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before heading home, we stopped for ice cream and I got my favorite - chocolate soft serve. At the ice cream store, we met some friends of Alex and Wanda's who own their own island just off the coast and are restoring a home there.

Tomorrow, we head up to St. John. I'm hoping that I can get a cheap cell phone that will work for the next two months. Our phones apparently aren't going to work here because Verizon in Canada terminated the use of CDMA. That's what we were told at the phone store in St. Stephen. We'll see what we can find out tomorrow.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0