Day 55: St. Stephen, NB to Blacks Harbour, NB - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2017

Day 55: St. Stephen, NB to Blacks Harbour, NB

It almost felt like summer today on the first day of summer. It was sunny and warm until late afternoon. Then it got dark, windy and stormy looking just a few miles from our B&B. The wind was cold and we pedaled hard to beat the rain. We got just a few drops of rain as we pulled in the driveway. By the time we put the bike in the garage and got checked in, it started to clear up. Half an hour later, the sun was out, the wind died down and it was warm again.

We started our day with a visit to the Ganong Chocolate Museum in St. Stephen. It was OK - not a great museum, but they did have free chocolate samples throughout the building.

Original Ganong factory, now the Chocolate Museum
Heart 0 Comment 0
History of chocolate
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chocolate samples throughout the museum
Heart 0 Comment 0

After the museum, we went across the street to a convenience for our morning Diet Coke. We were enjoying chatting with the clerk when another customer came in to buy some dulse. This was something we had never seen nor heard of. It's a dried seaweed popular in this part of New Brunswick. The woman buying it insisted we each have a sample. It wasn't bad - it tastes like the ocean smells. I think I could learn to enjoy it.

Dulse from Grand Manan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry with our dulse connection - thank you for introducing us to it!
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was almost noon before we started out for our destination in Blacks Harbour. We rode 25 miles through the country on a two lane road with very little traffic before coming to our first stop. It was a nice peaceful ride. A few miles before the end of that road, we came to this covered bridge.

New Brunswick countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0
Covered bridge over the Digdeguash River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our lunch stop was at Ossie's Lunch. It's a food stand with a large area of picnic tables. They advertised the "Best Seafood in North America". I can't say that my fish sandwich was the best in North America, but it was good. We had fun talking with a couple from Southport, NC traveling with their new Airstream trailer.

Sherol and Brian traveling with their new Airstream trailer
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just a few miles down the road from Ossie's. we came to the town of St. George. It was Diet Coke time again, so we stopped at a convenience store where we met Maxine and her husband (Dave?) who told us about this area. They were so right when they said it would get colder coming into Blacks Harbour. We learned that Blacks Harbour is a small fishing village, not big into tourism, so it will be a nice quiet place to spend our rest day tomorrow

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 2,279 miles (3,668 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0