Day 53: Milbridge, ME to Machias, ME - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2017

Day 53: Milbridge, ME to Machias, ME

We had a short ride of only 32 miles today. It's still chilly and damp and we didn't see the sun, but we had a good day. The breakfast at the motel in Milbridge was pretty bad, so Kerry was on the lookout for food right away. We found a Circle K after a few miles and stopped in for Diet Coke and a cinnamon roll. Just the breakfast touring cyclists need, right?

The best part of today was the people we met. We had planned to stop at a wild blueberry attraction (really just tourist junk) but it was closed. As we were standing there in the parking lot a guy came up and asked about where we were going. He was very friendly and when he found out we were going to be in Ottawa, immediately invited us to visit him there. He said he really didn't like people, but his wife did :) He also told us he had stopped at a lobster trap manufacturing company across the street and they had invited him in to look around. Since we weren't going to see Wild Blueberry World, it sounded like a good idea.

Ottawa guy - thanks for inviting us to visit you - and thanks for telling us about the lobster trap place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wild Blueberry World - closed
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Wild Blueberry World - tourist kitsch
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendship Lobster Trap Co.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finished traps
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting with the lobster traps
Heart 0 Comment 0

X

A few miles later, we crossed the Chandler River at Jonesboro. There was another couple there taking pictures. They had passed us earlier on our bike and wanted to know about our trip. They are from Cadillac, MI and I have some North Carolina relatives who moved there in the late 1800's. We had a good time talking with them.

Mary and Dave Newhouse, Cadillac, MI. We really enjoyed meeting them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chandler River downstream at Jonesboro, ME
Heart 0 Comment 0
Chandler River upstream
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flower boxes on the bridge railings
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just past the river, we came to the Swamp Yankee BBQ. I have to tell you that a North Carolina woman is very skeptical about eating BBQ in Maine, but this was very, very good. I knew it was going to be a winner when I saw that they offered coleslaw as a topping on the pulled pork sandwich.

It was just a short ten miles to Machias after lunch. Our motel is nice and has a view of the River, but it doesn't have a guest laundry, so I'm writing this from the local laundromat. Once the laundry is done, we're going to try to get haircuts, then we'll be neat and clean for our border crossing tomorrow.

Machias River from our patio - some day the sun will shine again!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 2,192 miles (3,528 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0