Day 46: Ogunquit, ME - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 12, 2017

Day 46: Ogunquit, ME

We spent a day here on the beautiful Maine coast. It was a good day not to ride because it was really hot - 96 degrees this afternoon. According to Weather Underground, that's 10 degrees hotter than at home!

Ogunquit is an attractive tourist town
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went out this morning and walked the Marginal Way, a footpath that goes from Ogunquit to the little community of Perkins Cove. It is about a mile long and paved, and goes right along the rocky shoreline.

This paved footpath is called Marginal Way
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was very busy with other walkers. The views were gorgeous.

The beach at Ogunquit
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Ogunquit beach
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view of the ocean from Marginal Way
Heart 0 Comment 0
Atlantic Ocean view
Heart 0 Comment 0
View towards Perkins Cove
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were several places where steps had been built down to the water through the rocks. One area had a little bit of sandy beach and it was well used.

Making good use of the little bit of available sand
Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a huge wide sandy beach at Ogunquit, so I'm not sure what is the appeal of this one, but it was crowded. There was a group of people in full wetsuits on the beach when we first got there. Someone told Kerry that he thought it was a lifeguard training class.

Someone said this was a lifeguard training class
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our house sitters once lived on a sailboat which they sailed from Maine to Florida. We thought of them as we were watching this boat. Does this make you want to get back on the water, Stan and Cathy?

Sailing by
Heart 0 Comment 0

We walked over to Perkins Cove, had our Diet Coke and walked back. We were deciding where to go for lunch when a guy in front of one of the restaurants offered us samples of their house made fudge. That did the trick. We went in and had a good lunch. These straws were not quite as cool as the color change spoons we got at an ice cream parlor in Pennsylvania and carried with us the rest of the trip, but they were still fun.

Cool straws - but not cool enough to take with us
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we head inland to Sebago Lake.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0