Day 44: Tyngsborough, MA to North Hampton, NH - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2017

Day 44: Tyngsborough, MA to North Hampton, NH

We left our beautiful Airbnb this morning about 9AM - an early start for us. I took this picture last night after we posted our journal:

This is from last night - the view of the lake as we were walking home from supper. The Airbnb is right on the lake and we had big windows overlooking the lake in the bedroom.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first stop was only three miles into today's route. We finally found a state welcome sign again. The driver of a commuter bus sitting in the parking lot took this picture. There were stores on both sides of the street just across the state line. People from Massachusetts are ready to shop with no sales tax just as soon as they get into New Hampshire.

Finally, a sign to welcome us at the state line!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After some up and down hills, we got to our second stop at a convenience store near Windham, NH. We met a group of bikers (the kind who ride bikes with big motors) out for a Saturday ride who were amazed at the miles we had ridden and our plans for the rest of the summer. We had a lot of fun talking with all of them. If any of you guys are reading this - it was nice meeting you and we hope you enjoyed the rest of your ride.

A bunch of bikers who were out for a Saturday ride, They couldn't believe the ride we were taking on our bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode on - and up and down - to East Derry. There was a store there that advertised a deli, so we went in. I was hungry and ordered a small fish basket. While we were waiting for our food, a guy came into the store and bought about eight bottles of assorted beer. His bill was $72! We couldn't believe how much it was. It's the American way - if it costs more, it has to be better, right?

The deli had no seating (and no restroom), so we took our food across the street to a picnic table behind the town library. It turned out to be very mediocre food, but the setting was nice.

Our lunch spot in East Derry. The surroundings were better than the food.
Heart 0 Comment 0

More riding through the New Hampshire countryside and we came to Danville. We got a Diet Coke at a convenience store and went across the street where a Little League game was starting. It was 10-12 year-old boys in a playoff game between Danville and Chester. We had a good time there talking to some of parents. One of the guys said he used to race bikes and he and Kerry had a long bicycle conversation. If either the Danville dad of #22 or the Chester dad of #0 is reading this, please go the guestbook and let us know who won.

A Little League game underway in Danville, NH
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry talking with some parents at the game
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next town after Danville was Exeter, home of Phillips Exeter Academy. The downtown area had many inviting looking shops and cafes. After sharing a not very good early lunch, we were both ready to eat again. We stopped at Me and Ollie's which was very good. We then had enough energy for the last six miles here to North Hampton. There is an LL Bean Outlet store next door to the motel. We're going to walk over and see if there are any bargains worth the price of shipping home,

Tomorrow we are headed to Ogunquit, ME - our #13th state!

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 1,883 miles (3,030 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0