Day 4: Baldwin, FL to Folkston, GA - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2017

Day 4: Baldwin, FL to Folkston, GA

We changed our route today to try and avoid the smoke from the Okefenokee wildfires. Instead of following county roads to the west as planned, we swung eastward and spent most of the day on U.S. 301. The air was clear all day until just a few miles south of Folkston. It is a little smoky here, but not bad. Tonight’s forecast is for 90% probability of rain, so that should help.

Soon after leaving our motel this morning, we picked up the Jacksonville-Baldwin Rail Trail.

The Jacksonville-Baldwin Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

After just a couple of miles on the trail, we had to stop at a railroad crossing to allow a maintenance car to pass by. After the maintenance car passed, the gates remained down, but seeing no other moving trains, we dismounted and walked the bike around the crossing gate to continue our journey. We’ve been on a lot of rail trails, but this was a first for us.

We were surprised to see railroad gates
Heart 0 Comment 0
Railroad crossing on a rail trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

Along the way today we passed an “Agricycle Farm” near Callahan FL. The nature of their product was immediately evident as we rode by. It would have been immediately evident had we ridden by with our eyes closed! They recycle waste from cattle farms - we just cycled faster.

Agricycle Farm Callahan, FL
Heart 0 Comment 0
Agricycle Farm product (i.e. huge piles of cow s**t)
Heart 0 Comment 0

North of Hilliard, FL, we came across a bunch of old tractors in a field. It wasn’t a display, just tractors all spread out on the land. It made a good photo op.

Old tractors on a field near Hilliard,FL
Heart 0 Comment 0

We crossed into Georgia just a few miles before we got Folkston. Kerry has no interest in posing in front of signs, so the best I could do was a picture of the sign😊. (Kerry has no interest in posing for any pictures, so I have to sneak up on him to get any at all.)

We're in Georgia
Heart 0 Comment 0

We’re at the Inn at Folkston. We received a warm welcome from Ted, the owner – made warmer by his offer of cold Diet Coke and home baked cookies 😊. I told him we had been looking forward to his breakfast since last year. We’ll let you know tomorrow if it lived up to our expectations.

This is a lovely B&B
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 231 miles (372 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0