Day 19: Warrenton, NC to Burkeville, VA - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2017

Day 19: Warrenton, NC to Burkeville, VA

After another good breakfast at the Ivy B&B, we headed north to enter state number 5, Virginia. We were on our usual little country road and there was no sign at all. I knew that we were near the state line and Kerry noticed the green North Carolina sign in his rear-view mirror. So, we just snuck into Virginia with no photographic record of our arrival.

Shortly after entering Virginia, we rode across the Kerr Lake Dam. Traveling by bike really gave us time to enjoy the view. After crossing the dam, we saw a tugboat on display which we stopped to investigate.

Kerr Lake Dam & Spillway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tugboat DAN - named after the Dan River
Heart 0 Comment 0
The history of Dan
Heart 0 Comment 0

We definitely left the flat lands today. Along with the hills, we noticed a change in the farm scenery. Both the planted fields and the tractors working the fields were smaller – necessitated by the contour of the land. Hay appears to be a major crop in this area. We passed many acres of newly cut hay, drying in the fields and awaiting baling.

We also stopped to watch a logging operation in action.

Loading logs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dropping off an empty trailer - he later hooked up the trailer from the previous picture
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were on USBR 1 (United States Bicycle Route) for much of today. The roads were good for cycling and the route is very well marked in Virginia.

Route was well marked
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a long 30 mile stretch today with no services. That's the trade-off for using only back roads and no highways. When we got to Victoria, VA, we were tired and hungry. Luckily, we found the Uptown Café. The food was good and Mary, server, was friendly and helpful. She told us a little about the history of the building as Nelson's Pharmacy. (I always notice things named Nelson.)

The Uptown Café in Victoria, VA.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a cozy, comfortable place
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not Nelson, Mary
Heart 0 Comment 0

We only had 15 miles left to ride after we left Victoria. It was pretty hilly, but we rolled along just fine. Coming into Burkeville, we were more than ready for that cold Diet Coke we always have as soon as we check in. Our Diet Coke dreams were delayed by this only .35 miles from the hotel!

Between us and Diet Coke :(
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we are headed to Midlothian, VA, which is suburb of Richmond.

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 935 miles (1,505 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0