Day 17: Kenly, NC to Warrenton, NC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2017

Day 17: Kenly, NC to Warrenton, NC

Although long, today's ride was very enjoyable. The weather was clear and warm, after two cloudy and chilly days. It felt good.

We also had good, smooth roads with little traffic. It was nice not having to dodge expansion cracks and potholes.

Freshly paved road - SMOOOOOTH
Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw more of the same crops and, new today, what we were told was hemp.

We were told this is hemp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vegetable boxes stacked and ready for the next harvest.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's first stop was at Joyner's Mini Mart in Bailey. The owner posed for a picture under a portrait of her and her late husband. They ran the store together for 36 years until his death last fall.

Owner of Joyner's Mini Mart
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went through a few more small communities on the way to Warrenton. Every place we stopped people asked where we were going and wished us well. No one in these little places just rings up our purchases without comment. Everyone wants to talk, which we always enjoy.

Even the cows are friendly in North Carolina! As we rode past this herd, they approached the fence and started following us. We stopped and Kerry walked over to the fence. They all came up near him. He was trying to get them to take grass from his hand, but they wouldn't do that. As we rode away, they kept following us for a little way.

Cows coming toward us
Heart 0 Comment 0
Calling the cows
Heart 0 Comment 0
They came up close to the fence
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a large sawmill / lumber yard near Warrenton that Kerry stopped to check out.

Sawmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sawmill
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're taking a rest day tomorrow in Warrenton. We'll do laundry, clean the bike and get organized for the next stretch of the trip through Virginia and Maryland.

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 868 miles (1,397 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0